A Brief History Of Castle Combe
The village takes its name from a castle built on the hill to the north of the village in the 12th century, of which little now remains except earthworks.
During the Middle Ages, the village, along with much of the Cotswolds, enjoyed prosperity due to the growth of a thriving wool industry. Numerous weavers’ cottages were erected from local stone, and these ancient honey-hued buildings remain one of the village’s standout features today.
The village was known in particular for manufacturing a red and white cloth known as ‘Castlecombe’, which was renowned in the markets of Bristol, Cirencester, as well as London and abroad, and in 1440 King Henry VI granted Castle Combe the right to hold a weekly market, with the unmistakable Market Cross monument still standing proudly today.