History Of Swindon
Built in close proximity to what is now known as Swindon Hill, the origin of Swindon can be traced back to pre-historic times (though it first became populated during Saxon times).
Originally known as Swine Dun or “Pig Hill”, Swindon remained as a small settlement until it started to expand at the beginning of the 19th century.
When the Great Western Railway reached Royal Wootton Bassett in December 1840, a new “town” was built to accommodate the workers who had moved from other areas of the country. Swindon’s population had increased from just over 1,000 in 1801, to more than 15,000 by 1881.
As the admiration for the market town grew, so did its population. Further industrial investment in the area followed, and in the 2011 census, Swindon’s population was recorded at more than 200,000.