History Of Lacock Village
Lacock Village is believed to have begun life as a Saxon settlement – its name originating from the word ‘lacuc’ meaning ‘little stream’, in reference to Bide Brook which runs through the village.
In 1232, Lacock Abbey was founded on the village’s manorial lands by Ela, Countess of Salisbury, and thanks to her efforts, the village was granted a market and developed a thriving woolen industry throughout the Middle Ages.
Today, Lacock is owned by the National Trust, who preserve the village’s buildings which all date between the 13th and 18th century. Despite being a tourist attraction, Lacock remains a living, breathing village with most of its houses rented out to people whose families have lived there for several generations.